Thursday 4 August 2011

I have a dream... NOT

For anyone that has know me for sometime. They might call me an idealist. Perhaps a little mad. A dreamer. A bit opinionated at times. I agree, I'm generally all of these things, although with a good soul. I dream of a world where we have justice and equality. I see a world were our past does not define our future, although becomes the stepping stones and foundation for us to build and learn from. And up until this morning, I never questioned this philosophy that I preached to others. 'Your past is your past. What is important is what you do now. Learn from your mistakes and move one.'

I was in a waking state this morning, listening to the news of Dana running for the presidency, now that Sen. David Norris had stood down. Something inside me felt really wrong. It felt like an injustice had taken place. For so long I hear myself and others moaning about the leaders we have. Mostly, I and others I know, elect people based on the best of a bad lot. Many times, I think to myself. Well Sam, if you really want to make a difference. Do something about it! As I was thinking about this, I thought, sure if Dana is running, why don't you. As I climbed out of bed, it took me a moment to realise why that might never be an option for me. It's not because I'm gay. It's because I have a past. I hold no regrets for any of my actions. Nevertheless, I have people in my life that I love enormously. The thoughts of their lives being strewn across the media and being analysed by the parasites, shocks me to my very core. Every action, I or the ones close to me, being held as the judgement of my character.

In the gym, my mind and heart, kept returning to this idea. I feel angry that we are allowing this character assassination of a truly unsung hero. A man that has brought so much to this country and its people. The very fact that my sexuality is not a breach in the law is due to him and others that share that compassion for equality and justice. His list of humanitarian actions is endless. Nevertheless, this momentary, error in judgment, that I empathise with, is the sin that brings him down. What hope is there for the rest of us? For me. For our chidren. For a world where our prospecting leaders can make mistakes and know that there is still an opportunity for them to become something.

What message do we send to the world letting Sen. David Norris stand down? Fear your past. If you have made mistakes, they are the ropes that bind you from trying to make a difference in the world. Give Up Now.

NO. I refuse to accept that future. I dream of a world where we have people in leadership that are real people with passion. People that are wise because they have learnt from their mistakes. And, I for one want Senator David Norris as my president. What do you want for this world? What message do you have for our children?

“It's not a question of who's going to throw the first stone; it's a question of who's going to start building with it” - Sloan Wilson

No comments: